Active Blind Spot Assist
Active Blind Spot Assist (ABSA) increases the level of protection even more by overcoming one of the more common hazards on the road: vehicles entering your blind spot.
ABSA will try to prevent or mitigate the severity of collisions between you and vehicles entering blind spot zones. In order to do that, the system uses radar sensors placed on the rear bumper fascia to detect the presence of a vehicle. ABSA also uses the forward-facing camera placed behind the internal rear-view mirror that is used for lane detection and estimation.
ABSA continually assesses the space between you and nearby vehicles by scanning blind spots on either side of your vehicle. When ABSA detects a vehicle entering your blind spot and you can’t see it in your side mirrors, the system will alert you by illuminating a warning light in the exterior door mirrors. Additionally, it will sound an audible warning (chime) and reduce the radio volume, if the radio is on.
Along with a visual alert and an audible warning, ABSA provides a corrective steering torque in an attempt to keep your vehicle in the center of the lane. By changing your driving trajectory, ABSA can help you to avoid or mitigate potential side collisions with vehicles in adjacent lanes. You can always adapt the intensity of this corrective torque according to your preference.
The blind spot area
The blind spot area extends from immediately behind the exterior rear-view mirrors up to about 7 m (23 ft) behind the rear bumper. The ABSA system monitors the detection zone from three different entry points: side, rear, and overtaking traffic.
- You must always pay attention to the traffic situation and maintain a safe distance at both sides of your vehicle.
- ABSA requires good visibility to function properly: the area on the rear bumper fascia where the radar sensors are located must remain free of snow, ice, and dirt.
- ABSA requires you to keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times in order to function.
- Sharp bends, slopes, poor lane boundaries and construction areas may challenge the system. You must always be ready to prevent any danger.
- ABSA is not a substitute for physically checking your blind spot to ensure safe driving maneuvers such as lane changes.
- ABSA is intended to be used only by licensed and alert users and under the conditions specified in a vehicle’s Owner’s Manual.
- Read and understand a vehicle’s Owner’s Manual thoroughly before using the ABSA system.
- It is your responsibility to stay alert, drive safely, and be in control of the vehicle at all times.
- To avoid serious injury or death, do not rely on the ABSA system to prevent accidents or collisions as it is not designed to prevent loss of control or all accidents or collisions.
- Always be prepared to take corrective action at all times.
- Failure to follow these instructions and warnings can result in serious injury or death.
Focus on: Rear Cross Path function
The Rear Cross Path function (RCP) is intended to assist you when you are backing out of a parking spot and a vehicle appears unexpectedly. Using peripheral sensors located on either side of the rear bumper, the RCP system monitors the rear detection zones on both sides of your vehicle.
When an unseen vehicle is approaching and you’re reversing out of a parking space, the system will alert you with a visual and an audible warning. If the radio is on, it will also reduce the volume.
Even with this function, always remember to proceed very slowly and cautiously out of a parking space.
Discover the models which are equipped with this feature
You're Not Like Everyone Else
An Icon of Italian Elegance
*Actual selling price may vary. Dealer preparation, options, delivery, destination, taxes, title, license and registration fees not included. Please see your authorized Maserati dealer to ensure the actual availability of these models and the accuracy of the information. All figures presented are estimates only. The payments calculated are based on terms and other variables you have selected and are not current programs available by MNA. This is not an offer of direct financing or of any particular lease or purchase transaction.
© 2020 Maserati North America, Inc. All rights reserved. Maserati and the Trident logo are registered trademarks of Maserati SpA.
Some images may show European models.