Highway Assist System
The Highway Assist System (HAS) allows you to feel even more comfortable and safe while driving in highways or limited access freeways. Combining the Adaptive Cruise Control with the Lane Keeping Assist, HAS is a level 2 Autonomy system.
Picking up information from both a radar sensor located on the front grille behind the trident and a forward-facing camera behind the rear-view mirror, HAS performs three crucial functions at the same time:
- maintains the desired speed that you previously selected
- maintains the chosen distance from the vehicle in front
- keeps the vehicle in the center of the lane by actively controlling the steering wheel
Even if HAS is a partially automated driving system, many factors can impact the performance of the Highway Assist System, causing it to be unable to function as intended. HAS is unable to guide the vehicle and assist the driver when visibility is poor: this can happen when you’re driving hills or sharp curves, when the forward-facing camera is obstructed or damaged, or when a bright light faces the camera.
You must always be aware of surrounding traffic and be extra-careful in a bad weather as heavy rain, snow or fog can drastically change the road conditions.
Hands detection on the steering wheel
Designed for a fully attentive driver, HAS is a hands-on feature: the sensors in the outer crown of the steering wheel are able to detect the presence of your hands. That’s why you must keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times. Keep in mind that the sensors are not able to detect the presence of your hands if they are placed on areas that are covered in wood, plastic bezels or carbon inserts. The system will automatically disengage if your hands are removed from the steering wheels for a set amount of time.
Keep in mind
- HAS is designed to only function on highways or limited access freeways.
- HAS requires you to keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times.
- You must always be aware of surrounding traffic and road conditions.
- You must always be ready to immediately take control of your vehicle.
- Other factors can impact the performance of HAS negatively: narrow, winding or curvy roads; bright lights or shadows; constructions zones; other equipment generating electromagnetic waves.
Discover the models which are equipped with this feature
You're Not Like Everyone Else
An Icon of Italian Elegance
© 2020 Maserati North America, Inc. All rights reserved. Maserati and the Trident logo are registered trademarks of Maserati SpA.
Some images may show European models.