The Maserati A6G 2000 was a production sports car introduced in 1950 to replace the A6 1500. In its name, “2000” denoted the engine displacement in cubic centimeters, “A” stood for Alfieri, in honor of company founder Alfieri Maserati, who passed away in 1932, “6” indicated the number of cylinders, and “G” stood for ghisa, referring to the cast iron used to construct the engine blocks, although Maserati soon adopted light-alloy castings. Bore and stroke of the inline-6 engine was increased from the previous 1.5-liter model and featured a chain-driven overhead camshaft with triple carburetors, with power output between 90 and 100 hp. Chassis dimensions remained unchanged, but the rear suspension was updated. The Maserati A6G 2000 was unveiled at the 1950 Turin Motor Show with Pinin Farina coachwork. Production of the series was extremely limited: Pinin Farina built nine four-place fastback coupes, each characterized by a high waistline. Frua of Turin supplied five convertibles plus a single coupe, while Vignale also added a one-off coupe designed by Giovanni Michelotti. All 16 cars were assembled between 1950 and 1951, although the model was only replaced in Maserati’s lineup in 1954 with the introduction of the heavily revised A6G/54. Hand-built and highly exclusive, the A6G series firmly established Maserati as one of the world’s finest manufacturers of sports cars, and remains a top-tier collectible today.
|Model code||Tipo A6G|
|Body type||2+2 Fastback, 2-seater spyder or coupé|
|Design||Frua, Vignale, Pinin Farina|
|Production years||1950 - 1951|
|Maserati era||Orsi Family|
|Chassis||Tubular structure with longitudinal and cross members with steel or aluminium body depending on the bodywork|
|Engine configuration||Straight 6, single overhead camshaft|
|Power||90hp @ 5,500rpm (100hp with the optional 3 carburettors)|
|Top speed||160 - 180km/h|
© 2019 Maserati North America, Inc. All rights reserved. Maserati and the Trident logo are registered trademarks of Maserati SpA.